Herring Gut Learning Center Careers
HERRING GUT LEARNING CENTER (HGLC) is an environmental education organization focusing on ocean and climate literacy and sustainability in Port Clyde, Maine. HGLC was founded two decades ago by Phyllis Wyeth, wife of the celebrated artist Jamie Wyeth. HGLC sits on three spectacular coastal acres on the shore of the Gulf of Maine at the end of the St. George Peninsula in mid-coast Maine. Our current audiences include teachers, students and community members. Initially focusing on the students of the mid-coast, HGLC recently began expanding its reach by providing programming to additional school districts and a virtual remote learning presence. HGLC has begun to formulate a strategic plan to broaden its audience while continuing to serve its original constituency. This strategic plan, which is intended to ensure HGLC’s sustainability and broaden its audience and impact, will be created by the new Executive Director, staff and Board of Trustees.
Our 3-acre campus includes two recirculating freshwater aquaponic systems, a salt-water laboratory, and a lobster pound. We sit in the midst of a vibrant fishing community, serve as a gateway to Monhegan Island and are in close proximity to the towns of Thomaston and Rockland, the art capital of Maine.
As the TEAM LEADER you’ll be working with a small, collaborative team of professionals and volunteers. You will also have the support of an experienced and dedicated Board of Trustees.
You’ll be responsible for program excellence, rigorous program evaluation, finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and IT systems. Your role will include actively engaging with external groups, including event committees, partnering organizations and funders.
As the PUBLIC CHAMPION of the organization, you’ll be responsible for building engagement and support with existing individual donors, foundations, corporate partners, and school administrators. In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to identify and engage a new generation of supporters and stakeholders. You will also represent HGLC at local, state and regional events.
- 5+ years in a related role
- Experience in fund raising through grant applications and donor solicitations
- Effective communication and marketing skills
- Excellent academic qualification (preferably a Masters Degree in a related discipline)
- Demonstrated successful transformational leadership
- Strong presentation skills
- Outstanding personal relations skills with all ages
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively with staff, customers and board members
- Enthusiasm to lead new strategic work for the organization
- Commitment to measurement of results
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills for staff development
- Budget preparation and management
- Applications will be accepted thru March 31, 2021 or until the position is filled.
- Please submit an electronic letter of introduction, resume and two professional and two personal references to [email protected]
- It is anticipated the selected individual for this position will begin within the month of May or June.
- Supervisor: Board of Trustees
- Compensation: $65,000 – $70,000 depending on experience, plus benefits
Herring Gut Learning Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, political affiliation, age, or religious beliefs in the administration of its education programs.
Herring Gut Learning Center is a 501 (c) (3) Public Charity